I was only partially right when I posted, Hospitals hate fat people. The truth is everybody hates fat people. This is from The Onion:
"We've known for some time that obesity can cause heart disease, diabetes, strokes, and other potentially life-threatening illnesses," said report author Dr. Marjorie Reese, director of UCLA's Obesity Pathology Clinic. "But the fact that obesity impedes suicide is truly troubling. It appears that the more reason people have to die, the less capable they are of doing so. They are literally trapped in their grotesque, blubbery bodies."
... The report included detailed illustrations of extremely overweight people unable to bend over far enough to fit their heads into ovens, bobbing like corks while attempting to drown themselves, and becoming too winded scaling stairs to reach heights from which they could hurl their enormous bulk with fatal results ...
"The fat need to improve their eating habits and commit to a modest exercise regimen, even if it starts with just walking from room to room inside their houses," said Dianne Evans, a specialist at the Johns Hopkins Center for Public Health. "If they keep that up for six to 12 months, most of these people could lose enough weight to be able to kill themselves with relative ease."
But Evans warned that losing too much weight too fast could have serious repercussions.
"What you want to avoid is a situation where someone comes down from 320 pounds to 240 in the span of a single year, and suddenly does not have the suicidal urges they once did," said Evans, who explained that the "sweet spot" of self-hatred and physical suicidal ability is extremely small. "If they mistake their all-but-meaningless improvement for a legitimate reason to live, their fat, revolting lives may be prolonged indefinitely."
I recognize that this is supposed to be satire. But when you are obese and 99% of your waking minutes include at least one fleeting thought of suicide, and the other 1% you're trying to figure out the best way to do it, you don't laugh when you read something like this.
The picture is from I Can Has Cheezburger. I'd blow my brains out if it weren't for kitties.
Turn ons: Molly Ivins, who said: Satire is traditionally the weapon of the powerless against the powerful ... When satire is aimed at the powerless, it is not only cruel — it’s vulgar.
Turn offs: Aristocratic assholes who think they're morally superior to fat people